A decadent chicken dinner idea
I love a good chicken dinner. A lot. As I’m making more and more chicken at home for my daughter and me (my husband and son don’t eat chicken), I’m branching out into different flavors. This honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese is completely inspired by a favorite dish I’ve had a chain restaurant from down under.
The mix of honey mustard, cheese, chicken and bacon is so good. I decided to try making it myself. You could also make this into a quesadilla by cutting up the chicken pieces and piling them into a tortilla with honey mustard, bacon and cheese. I haven’t yet done that, but I am definitely going to try it! (You can easily bake quesadillas to get them nice and crispy without being greasy.)
I’m telling you, this is one chicken dinner idea you’re going to add into your line-up. It’s easy and tasty!
Preparing the chicken
When I made this honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese to take photos, I had four small pieces of chicken. So, that’s what I went with. Next time when I haven’t totally messed up the chicken breasts I previously bought, I’d make it with larger pieces of chicken.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Then pat your chicken dry and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Spritz your skillet well with non-stick cooking spray and place the chicken into the pan. Cook it for 4 to 6 minutes per side, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken. I always temperature check mine in the middle to be sure it’s at least 165-degrees (F).
While the chicken is cooking, make your precooked bacon. I used three slices between these four small pieces of chicken. You can definitely use regularly cooked bacon as well. The precooked just saves time by making it in the microwave. We like bacon crispy around here, so I cooked it until it was crispy.
Baking the honey mustard chicken
When the chicken is cooked through, transfer it to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, non-stick aluminum foil or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spread about 1 tablespoon of honey mustard on top of each medium chicken breast.
Next, take your cooked pieces of bacon and break them apart to fit in slices on top of each piece of honey mustard chicken.
Then, for two servings, divide 1/2 cup shredded cheese between the chicken breasts. I use Colby jack cheese, but cheddar would also be great for this. You might notice half the chicken has more cheese than the other. That’s because my daughter isn’t big on melted cheese, but I am!
Put the prepared honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese into your oven and turn the broiler on low. Broil the chicken for 2 to 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 6 slice of precooked bacon
- 4 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat on your stovetop.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray the skillet well with non-stick cooking spray, then add the chicken. Cook each side for 3 to 5 minutes until a thermometer inserted into the middle of the chicken read 165-degrees (F) and all pink is gone.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the bacon in the microwave until it is at your desired crispness.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top the chicken with 1 tablespoon each of honey mustard. Distribute the bacon slices and shredded cheese between the two chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken in the oven and broil on low for 2 to 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden. (Keep a close eye on it to keep it from burning!) Serve immediately.