Reignite romance and foster deeper connections
Talking with your husband is important for a good Christian marriage, but the busyness of everyday life can make meaningful conversations fall by the wayside. We get caught up in talking about household duties, children activities, work struggles and schedules. Conversation starters for couples can make it easier.
No matter how long you’ve been married, there are always ways to improve communication in your marriage. This list of Christian conversation topics for couples comes in handy for date night, marriage check-ins or even just regular weeknights. Because figuring out ways to connect with your spouse while raising children is a challenge!
Looking for conversation starters for your entire family? Check out this list of 50 conversation starters for your family!
30 General conversation starters for couples
While you and your spouse know each other well, you can still learn more about one another. These questions will deepen your bond and grow your relationship.
- How has your faith grown or changed since we got married?
- What spiritual practices or disciplines have most impacted your life?
- What Bible verse or story has been meaningful to you recently? Why?
- How can we better support each other’s spiritual growth?
- Have you had any experiences where you felt God’s presence or guidance in our marriage?
- Are there any areas in our marriage where we could invite God’s wisdom and guidance more intentionally?
- What are some goals or dreams you have for yourself that you haven’t shared with me, yet?
- Is there a new skill or hobby you’ve been interested in pursuing?
- How have your priorities or values evolved over the years?
- Are there any books, podcasts or resources that have inspired you recently?
- Is there something you’ve always wanted to learn or experience but haven’t had the chance to yet?
- How can we support each other’s personal growth and self-care?
Memories and reflections
- What are some of your favorite memories from our early years of marriage?
- What milestone or accomplishment that from our marriage make you most proud?
- Which challenges or struggles are you proud we’ve overcome? Why?
- How do you think we’ve grown as a couple since we first got married?
- Is there a specific moment or event in our marriage that you think changed us for the better?
- What lessons from our past experiences can help shape our future?
Family and relationships
- How do you think our marriage has impacted our relationship with our extended families?
- Are there any new traditions or rituals we could establish to strengthen our bond as a family?
- How do you envision our relationship evolving as our children grow older?
- Is there something you’d like to do together as a couple that we haven’t done before?
- How can we be more intentional about spending quality time together, just the two of us?
- Are there any unresolved issues or challenges within our family or relationships that we need to address?
Dreams and goals
- Where do you see us in the next five years? What goals or dreams do you have for our future?
- Are there any adventures or trips you’ve always wanted to take together?
- In what ways can I help you achieve the dreams and goals you have for yourself?
- How can we align our individual goals and dreams to create a shared vision for our future?
- Is there a particular cause or social issue you’re passionate about and would like us to get involved in?
- How can we support each other in pursuing our dreams and goals while maintaining a strong marriage?
25 Deep conversation starters for couples
Getting into even deeper conversations can be hard in the midst of everyday life. These questions will help you delve deeper and connect with one another even more. And whether you’ve been married 25 years or 25 months, you’ll learn more about your spouse!
Identity and purpose
- How would you describe your truest self, beyond the roles and labels society assigns to you?
- What do you believe is your purpose in life, and how does it align with our marriage?
- Are there any fears or insecurities you would like to overcome?
- How can we support each other in living out our passions and pursuing meaningful work?
- Have you ever experienced a moment of profound clarity or revelation about your purpose?
Vulnerability and emotional intimacy
- Is there a specific area of our marriage where you would like to deepen our emotional connection?
- What are some of your deepest fears or worries, and how can I best support you in facing them?
- Are there any unresolved hurts or wounds from the past that still affect you today?
- How can we create a safe space for each other to express our true feelings without judgment?
- What is one thing you wish I understood better about your emotional needs?
Faith and doubt
- Are there any aspects of your faith or religious beliefs that you’ve been questioning or struggling with lately?
- How do you find solace or maintain hope in times of doubt or uncertainty?
- What is one of your defining moments in your faith walk?
- What is something you need prayer for right now? (Take time to pray together!)
- In what ways you are struggling to connect with God right now? How can I help you with that?
Legacy and impact
- What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind for our children future generations?
- How do you envision our marriage making a positive impact on the world around us?
- Are there any specific values or principles you want to instill in our children or future generations?
- How can we use our resources, time and talents to serve others and make a difference?
- Is there a particular cause or social issue that you feel called to address as a couple?
Intimacy and connection
- In what ways can we deepen our physical and emotional intimacy in our marriage?
- Are there any unspoken desires or fantasies that you’d like to share with me?
- How can we make our time together more meaningful and intentional?
- What are some ways we can create a stronger sense of unity and teamwork in our relationship?
- How can we continue to grow and evolve as a couple while maintaining our individuality?
Connecting as a couple
Using conversation starters for couples doesn’t mean you and your spouse are in trouble or have nothing to talk about. Instead, they deepen your connection and teach you more about one another even in the busyness of daily life.
After all, truly talking and listening to one another makes a good marriage great! And we all want that!
Download all 55 Christian conversation starters for couples!