An easy recipe for garlic cheddar biscuits that taste better than the ones from that well-known crustacean restaurant!
My husband, kiddos and I are not big seafood eaters. My guys don’t eat any seafood; my daughter and I eat a small amount. But there is that well-known chain crustacean restaurant we sometimes go to mostly because we really want the garlic cheddar biscuits. But then I figured out how to make them easily at home — and found they were more moist to boot. So now we can enjoy them pretty much any time!
One of the things I most love about this garlic cheddar biscuit recipe is that it’s simple enough for weeknight dinners, and I usually have the ingredients on-hand. I’ve tried a few varieties of this recipe, and finally found one I liked pretty well. I made a few teaks and now I’m in love!
Making the biscuit dough
The thing that sets these garlic cheddar biscuits apart from all the others is using butter in small pieces so you get buttery bursts as you eat them. You can make these using vegetable oil instead of butter, but they don’t have that nice buttery pop that is so decadent.
For eight to nine biscuits (depending on the size you make them), cut 2 tablespoons of cold butter into pieces.
Next, put 1-1/4 cups of baking mix into a large mixing bowl. The name brand option is Bisquick. I have used the Kroger store version for this recipe as well and had it turn out perfectly fine. Add the butter into the bowl with the dry mix.
Use two forks to mix the butter pieces into the dry mix. You want to keep the pieces of butter about the size of a pea or smaller so they are dispersed throughout the dough.
Next, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar (or cheddar jack) cheese, 1/2 cup of milk and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder into the mix.
Stir the ingredients together until they are combined without any dry pockets of baking mix. It should form a dough that is soft and moist.
Baking the garlic cheddar biscuits
Dollop the dough on a baking sheet that is lightly greased or lined with parchment paper (my pick!). I usually get about nine biscuits from this recipe. I don’t roll or round the biscuits in any way. The nooks and crannies that form when the dough is dropped get a bit of extra crispiness. And that’s worth the more rustic look to me!
Bake the biscuits in the oven at 400-degrees for 11 to 13 minutes until the tops start to turn light brown. A couple of minutes before the biscuits are ready to come out of the oven, put 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder into a microwave safe bowl to melt. (Or you can add the garlic powder after the butter melts; either way works!)
Once the butter is melted, stir it so the garlic powder is all mixed in. Pull the garlic cheddar biscuits out of the oven.
Immediately brush the tops with the melted garlic butter. Get into all the nooks and crannies!
Finally, lightly sprinkle the biscuits with salt. Serve them hot! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Garlic cheddar biscuits
- 1-1/4 cup baking mix (like Bisquick)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- Preheat your oven to 400-degrees (F) and line or lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into pieces; set aside.
- Put 1-1/4 cups of baking mix into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter pieces.
- Use two forks to mix the butter into the baking mix, breaking the butter up in pea-sized or small pieces that are distributed throughout the mix.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir well.
- Dollop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet The dough should make 8 to 9 biscuits.
- Bake at 400-degrees for 11 to 13 minutes, until the tops and tips are starting to lightly brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder together.
- Take the biscuits out of the oven, and brush them with the garlic butter.
- Lightly sprinkle the biscuits with a bit of salt and serve.
Find other family friendly recipes like this one in the FREE “Favorite Recipes from Families with Grace” cookbook!
One thought on “Garlic cheddar biscuits”
Comments are closed.