24 Bible verses about being thankful
Most years, I have a word or phrase that represents my focus for the year. I don’t come up with these at the beginning of the year, but develop them as I go based on what lessons God is teaching me. For example, a few years ago my word was “Grace” — and that’s turned into this site!
This year, my word is “Gratitude.” God has continued to remind me this year about the importance of being thankful and grateful even during difficult times. It came more into focus with the release of “The Christian Woman’s Gratitude Journal.” Since then, I have not only benefitted from working through the journal myself but also discussing it in the private Facebook group, Moms with Grace.
All of this has prompted me to put together a list of Bible verses about gratitude. These are verses to remind us what God’s Word says about the importance of gratitude in our own lives. They encourage us to maintain a grateful heart for all God does for us.
What gratitude is and isn’t
Before we get into the Bible verses about gratitude, we need to talk about what gratitude is and isn’t. It’s important to note that we don’t have to be thankful for difficult circumstances. Instead, we are to be thankful even in difficult circumstances.
I’ve spent decades managing chronic pain. In fact, I’m typing this right now with a heating pad on my back, and it’s one of three heating pads I keep in my house in various locations. Never once in my journey have I felt thankful for my pain. It just isn’t natural or normal. However, I have felt thankful even in my pain. I’ve bene grateful for friends, support, love and encouragement. Sometimes I think dealing with ongoing pain has helped me be even more grateful in appreciating everyday things that others often take for granted.
So, gratitude isn’t being thankful for the hard stuff. Don’t beat yourself up or think you have lesser faith because you don’t feel thankful for a challenge. Use God’s Holy Spirit to lead you to find how to be gratitude even in the challenge.
Bible verses about gratitude
These 24 Bible verses about gratitude will help you stay focused on giving thanks to God even during difficult times. When we focus our gratitude on the One who takes care of us, we stop focusing on the things that are troubling us.
(All Bible verses are taken from the NIV Bible unless otherwise noted.)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- Psalm 107:1, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
- Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
- Psalm 100:4, “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”
- Ephesians 5:30, “always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
- Psalm 95:2,”Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.”
- 1 Chronicles 16:34, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
- Psalm 118:1, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
- Psalm 136:1, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.”
- Psalm 105:1, “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.”
- 1 Chronicles 16:8, “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.”
- Jonah 2:9, “But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise, and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the Lord alone.”
- Colossians 3:15, “And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.”
- Psalm 28:7, “The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”
- Psalm 30:12, “That I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!”
- 2 Corinthians 9:15, “Thank God for this gift too wonderful for words!”
- Revelation 4:9, “Whenever the living beings give glory and honor and thanks to the one sitting on the throne, the one who lives forever and ever.”
- Psalm 9:1, “I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.”
- Psalm 30:4, “Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.”
- Colossians 4:2, “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”
- 1 Timothy 4:4-5, “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.”
- Hebrews 12:28, “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.”
- James 1:17, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”