A pizza sliders recipe for family dinner or any time!
Last week I told you about ham and pineapple sliders my daughter and I love. However, the guys in my house don’t like either ham or pineapple. So when I make ham and pineapple sliders for dinner, I make these pizza sliders for them. They’re just as easy to make and don’t add time to dinner prep.
Pepperoni is the pizza topping of choice for my husband and son, so I use just pepperoni on these pizza sliders, but you could use any favorite pizza toppings, much like with the pizza subs recipe. The sliders are a bit different in size (obviously) and flavor with their sweet roll base and onion garlic butter topping.
Putting together the sliders
]Get started by preheating your oven to 350-degrees and spraying a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Next up, you need to prepare your slider buns. You can totally buy slider buns, but I prefer Hawaiian dinner rolls since they are a bit sweeter. I just slice them in half to make them into buns. Place the bottom half of the buns into the baking pan. I used one package of 12 rolls and divided them into two sides when I was making this recipe this time because I was using half of the rolls for these pizza sliders and the other half for the ham and pineapple sliders.
Once your bun bottoms on in the pan, you want to cover them with pizza sauce. I don’t usually measure it out and just dollop it on. It’s about 1 tablespoon per bun.
Use a spoon or butter knife to spread the pizza sauce evenly over the bun bottoms.
Next, top the sauced buns with about 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese to cover the buns. You can add more or less depending on your family’s preference.
Top the cheese with the pizza toppings your family most likes. My guys love pepperoni, so I used pepperoni. I ended up using a bit of extra pepperoni this time around because I was at the end of a package and wanted to use it up. For pepperoni, go for one to two slices per bun.
Add the top bun and then melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 tablespoon of onion salt. Stir until combined. (Mine usually ends up kind of like wet sand.)
Brush the garlic butter over the top of the buns.
Bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Cut them apart and serve warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- 12 Hawaiian rolls
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- 1.5 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion salt dried, minced onion also works
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls in half through the middle to turn them into slider buns. Put the bottom half of the rolls into the baking dish; set aside the tops for now.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the bun bottoms in the pan. Top with shredded cheese and pepperoni. (Add other pizza toppings as desired.)
- Put on the tops of the rolls.
- Melt the butter and then add in the garlic powder and onion salt. Mix it well and then brush the butter mixture over the top of the sliders.
- Bake the sliders for 20 minutes until the tops are browned and the cheese is melted.
2 thoughts on “Pizza sliders”
Comments are closed.